Friday, June 14, 2013

What is going on here?

Who loves Buffalo?  We do! 


Buffalo is a great city for a lot of reasons although we've got a bit of a complex. Who knows whether it's from "No Goal", a long-past heyday, four Superbowl losses, or just a general rust-belt malaise.  Regardless, it's easy to forget about the things that make this city great.

We are parked alongside two of the biggest and most beautiful fresh-water lakes in the world.  Niagara Falls is a geographic marvel, recognized the world over.  As one of the most important cities in the early expansion of The United States the region is steeped in history and culture.  We are generally hurricane and tornado free, our earthquakes don't bring down buildings, and the blizzards for which we're famous make for great skiing.  Also, championships non-withstanding, we are home to multiple major sports franchises.

All that aside, perhaps my personal favorite part of the city is it's food. Particularly our love of delicious food.  It's the sort of thing you won't notice if you don't travel often and could easily take for granted.  Before you nod your head and think "Yes, yes, I also love wings and beef on weck" understand that's not what I'm talking about.  Of course I do love wings and beef on weck but that's not my point. In Buffalo, and  Western New York in general, we love delicious food and we support those establishments that provide it.  Buffalo is a food town, a restaurant town, and a great place to eat.

Challenge Accepted!

Don't take my word for it though, I plan to demonstrate.  What I'll be doing is simple:   For one month this summer I will walk to and eat lunch at a different restaurant every day downtown.  I work right in the heart of the city and this is a good way to demonstrate what I'm talking about.  I'll blog about it, take pictures of the food and staff, and generally gush about how much I enjoy eating here in the city.

My rules will be few and frequently violated.  I should be able to walk to the restaurant, eat, and get back to my office within an hour.  Until this little project makes me independently wealthy I still have a regular job to attend.  I won't hit the same place twice, won't pay more than $20 for a meal, and will not order chicken wings.  Everyone here already knows how and where to get great wings.  Chain restaurants are not allowed (I'm looking at you, TGI Fridays).  Lastly, my reviews will be informative and biased towards praise.  I want you to want to eat at these places and  I don't want to write negative things.  I will generally know ahead of time what to expect so there is no reason for the writing to be mean.  If I truly have a bad experience though I won't lie about it, just do my best to sugar-coat it.

So get your sneakers on and skip breakfast, it's lunch time in The Queen City!





No comments:

Post a Comment